One missing tooth may not seem like a big deal, but whether you’re missing a molar or a more prominent tooth, any holes in your smile threaten your oral health. A single tooth implant is the most effective, long-lasting way to replace a missing tooth, and this advanced dental implant treatment is available through Impressions Dental in Chandler, AZ.
Oral Health Problems Caused by a Missing Tooth
A missing tooth is both a functional and cosmetic problem. The absence of any part of your smile negatively impacts the rest of your teeth over time, leading to problems such as:
- Worn tooth enamel
- Deteriorating teeth
- Weakened chewing strength
- Jaw pain
- Gum irritation
- Unstimulated jawbone
- Changing face shape
- Shifting teeth
- Compromised alignment
The Single Tooth Implant Procedure
A single tooth dental implant replaces both tooth root and crown in a routine surgical procedure that is customized to your unique oral health. Here is what you can expect from start to finish:
- Consultation: Your Chandler dentist will thoroughly review your oral health to determine if you are a good candidate for a dental implant by taking x-rays, 3D images, and conducting an examination. Your mouth and gums must be healthy and free of disease and your jawbone must be strong enough to hold the implant.
- Surgery: In this outpatient procedure, the dental implant is placed into the jawbone under the gum line and an abutment is attached to the implant and sticks out just above the gum. A temporary crown is attached to the abutment until the permanent restoration is added later.
- Healing: This will be the longest part of the single tooth implant procedure as it can take several months for the surgical area to heal fully and the implant to fuse completely with the jawbone.
- Restoration: Once healing is complete, the permanent dental crown, customized to match your other teeth, is permanently bonded to the abutment to complete the procedure and fully restore your smile.
Benefits of a Single Tooth Dental Implant
With a single tooth implant securely in place, your smile is complete. This cosmetic perk is significant, but it’s not the only benefit to filling the hole in your smile:
- Total restoration: With a new tooth root in place, the jaw is stimulated, neighboring teeth will not shift to fill the gap, and the likelihood of tissue damage and tooth misalignment is eliminated.
- Comfort: Once the dental implant is in place, it feels like a natural tooth, which is to say it doesn’t feel any different than the rest of your smile. Many patients forget they even have a restoration.
- Appearance: When all is said and done, your single tooth implant will look exactly like your other teeth and blend into your smile. Dental implants are designed to look natural.
- Functionality: If you have any sort of irritation in the space where a tooth once was, this discomfort will disappear with the replacement of the entire tooth. Biting, chewing, and speaking will all be second nature again and you can smile, eat, and talk confidently.
Get a Single Tooth Implant for a Missing Tooth in Chandler
Every tooth in your mouth has a role to play. When one is missing, whether it is lost through tooth extraction, an accident, or infection, the entire composition of your smile is affected and your oral health is negatively impacted. Replace a missing tooth with a single tooth implant and your smile will be complete, look better, feel better, and work flawlessly.