Tooth pain, jaw pain, or mouth pain of any kind is impossible to ignore. You may hope that the problem will go away on its own, but it won’t – and it could be something far worse than a cavity. A dental abscess is a painful tooth infection that begins deep within the pulp of the tooth before spreading to the root and forming a swollen abscessed area on the gums. At Impressions Dental in Chandler, AZ, we offer emergency dental care to patients suffering from this affliction.
Signs of a Dental Abscess
A dental abscess is caused by bacteria that multiplies, spreads, and forms an abscess. While untreated tooth decay is the most common cause of this oral health problem, the infection can also develop because of a mouth injury or deteriorating dental work. Whenever foreign particles find a way into a tooth, the complications begin.
The symptoms of an abscess are quite clear and there is no mistaking this dental emergency:
- Pus under the gumline
- Pus-filled, oozing gums
- Swollen gums
- Chills or fever
- Loose teeth
While some of these symptoms resemble signs of other oral health conditions, this unique combination of problems along with highly irritated gums makes it clear that an abscess is to blame. It’s essential to see your Chandler dentist immediately for treatment before the problem gets even worse.
Emergency Dental Treatment for a Dental Abscess
When you have pain and a pus-filled spot on your gums, your instinct may be to pop the abscess to eliminate the discomfort. Do not do this. Even if the abscess ruptures on its own your problems are not over. There is a significant gathering of bacteria within your gums and teeth and if it seeps into your mouth or the rest of your system, your entire well-being will be endangered. You need your dentist’s help to fix this oral health problem. Here’s what you need to know:
- Your dentist will drain the abscess properly and carefully
- While the wound heals – a process that may take a few weeks – you will be given a round of antibiotics
- Professional dental care prevents the spread of infection to the jaw, head, neck, and body
- An untreated dental abscess can be life-threatening
You may need several dental treatments to correct the problems caused by a dental abscess. Depending on how severe your case is, this might include:
- Root canal therapy: Bacterial infections start within a tooth, so root canal therapy is often the best line of defense to clean out the roots and ward off future infection.
- Tooth-colored filling: A small abscess that developed because of minor tooth decay might only need to be fixed with a tooth-colored filling.
- Porcelain crown: A tooth damaged by infection or one that undergoes root canal therapy typically needs to be capped with a porcelain crown to protect it from further complications.
- Tooth extraction: Some infected teeth are so badly compromised that there are no appropriate dental restorations to save it and it must be extracted to protect your oral health and overall health.
Cost Factors for Treating a Dental Abscess
The cost factors for dental bridges from your Chandler dentist will vary based on several factors:
- Number of teeth being replaced
- Location of the restoration
- Materials being used
Like every dental treatment, there is a baseline cost for the work being done but there are also elements unique to the patient that will impact the overall cost factors. When it comes to a dental abscess, you can expect many of the following circumstances to influence your charge:
- Emergency dental visit
- Location of the dental abscess
- Size and depth of the abscess
- Dental procedures needed to stop infection
- Restorative dentistry treatments needed
- Sedation dentistry
Emergency Dental Care for Dental Abscess in Chandler, AZ
If you have a gap between your front teeth, you might be a candidate for dental bonding. This minimally invasive technique can close the gap between your teeth and improve your smile. Since the bonding material is matched to your existing teeth, it will not stand out. Learn more about the process and find out…
In the past, when people were looking to make teeth look as cosmetically perfect as possible, they would turn their attention to dental procedures such as dental veneers, teeth whitening, or crowns. All such procedures are quite good but costly in time, as well as in dollars, usually taking a few office visits to complete.There…
What is dental bonding?This is a procedure that relies on bonding techniques to fill a tooth that has decayed. Dental bonding can also improve the appearance of teeth. It requires the application of a liquid composite resin for restorative purposes or to enhance aesthetics.The procedures commences with the dentist’s preparation of the tooth. Anesthesia is…
Dental bonding involves applying a tooth-colored resin to the tooth, repairing a broken, cracked or damaged tooth. Dental bonding is a common procedure that we perform on a regular basis for our patients.Dental BondingAt Impressions Dental in Chandler, we work to customize your treatment to match your needs and schedule where possible. Our professional staff…