Missing teeth are a big problem whether you are missing one tooth or an entire arch of teeth. Their absence affects how you look, how your mouth functions, and how you feel about yourself. Dental implants are the most secure, long-lasting
dental repair to restore your incomplete smile. At Impressions Dental in Chandler, AZ, Dr. Brigham Baker uses the most advanced techniques to give you beautiful, strong teeth with dental implants.
Understanding Dental Implants
Dental implants are a complete tooth restoration. They are surgically placed in the jawbone to replace the tooth root, while the prosthetic crown above the gum line fills the hole in your smile. Whether you are
missing teeth because of an accident, sports injury, gum disease, or extraction, dental implants are a permanent solution that restores both the appearance and functionality of your teeth.
The Dental Implant Procedure
Anyone who opts to get dental implants must be patient about the full restoration. The procedure takes place in only two parts, but time must be allowed for preparation and healing. You can expect the entire treatment
to go something like this:
- Evaluation: Your Chandler dentist will evaluate your oral health through a dental exam and digital x-rays to determine whether you are a good candidate for dental implants.
- Preparation: Prep will vary for every patient. If you have gum disease, which is behind most of your tooth loss, this infection will need to be cleaned up before any restorations can occur.
Otherwise, 3D mapping, models, and photographs will be taken to determine the amount of bone density you have and help guide the placement of implants.
- Implantation: The dental implant is a small, manmade, titanium root that is surgically implanted in the jawbone. Once this part of the procedure is complete, it will take several months for
the surgical site and incision to fully heal. Your dentist needs to ensure that the implant has fused with the jawbone and is secure before finishing the restoration. In many cases, a temporary crown or
dentures are placed at the time of the implant so you can enjoy the repair immediately until the permanent teeth are ready to be attached.
- Completion: Finally, it’s time for the big day: The post connected to the dental implant is topped with a custom-made prosthetic tooth. For patients who are replacing multiple teeth at one time,
a bridge or permanent denture will be fitted. This prosthesis, in whatever form it takes, is color-matched and carefully designed to look natural and indistinguishable from the rest of your teeth. Your smile,
at last, is complete!
Benefits of Dental Implants
You can replace missing teeth in several ways, most notably with a dental bridge or dentures. Dental implants, however, are the most effective, long-lasting solution to fill the holes in your smile. Here are just
some other benefits:
- Comfortable: Once your dental implant is in place, you’ll forget it’s there. The goal is for this restoration to fit snugly within your smile, so it looks and feels just like a natural tooth.
- Secure: Once a dental implant is in place and fully integrated into the jawbone, it’s not going anywhere. You can bite and chew with confidence just like the implants are your natural teeth.
- Placeholders: You don’t want holes in your smile because they’re unattractive, but spaces among your teeth are also an invitation for remaining teeth to float around and fill in the gaps. Dental
implants prevent this from happening and solidify your entire smile.
- Confidence-boosting: When your smile is complete, you will feel better about yourself and be more confident about speaking up, smiling, and eating.
- Aesthetically pleasing: The dental implants themselves look natural, but their presence also boosts your overall appearance. With implants firmly in place, you will avoid any shrunken or compressed
look that is a telltale sign of missing teeth. This restored smile will make you look younger and healthier.