Invisalign has become one of the top methods for straightening teeth. This modern orthodontic alternative is attractive to patients because the treatment is discreet, efficient, and easy to manage. At Impressions Dental in Chandler, AZ, we guide our adult and teen patients through how Invisalign works so they can achieve the straight smile they want.
The Logistics of How Invisalign Works
For patients, the biggest draws of Invisalign are trays that are impossible to see and braces that are removable so a little bit of freedom can be maintained throughout treatment. Your Chandler dentist also wants you to understand the bigger picture of how Invisalign works:
- Carefully constructed aligners: The composition of Invisalign aligners includes flexible thermoplastic material patented specifically for this treatment. A snug fit against upper and lower arches of the teeth, the trays blend right into your smile.
- Efficient timeline: Metal braces often take 18 months to complete, sometimes longer depending on the complexity of each case. Invisalign treatment averages one year, and patients who have minor problems could finish wearing their aligners in six to nine months.
- Easy instructions: Being responsible for Invisalign is not difficult. Your dentist will review what you need to do to insert and remove the trays and care for the aligners so they stay strong, clean, and clear. You’ll have a certain number of trays for your entire journey and must switch them out as instructed.
The Discreet Invisalign Method
How Invisalign works is different from conventional metal braces. Where brackets and wires are used to align and shift crooked, gapped, and problematic teeth, many people seek to straighten their smile with Invisalign, a far less noticeable option.
Invisalign offers the same concept for every wearer. The process, however, stands out because of how it varies from metal braces:
- Gentle and consistent shifting of teeth using customized trays.
- Only a few teeth move at a time, but roots and teeth shift simultaneously.
- Discreet, clear aligners that are nearly impossible to see.
- Thin trays fit snugly against the teeth.
- Switch trays every two weeks to target the next sets of teeth.
- Take care of attachments if they’re needed to help teeth move more effectively.
How Patients Make Invisalign Work
When you are given your first set of Invisalign trays, you are officially in charge of your treatment and progress. Your dentist will give you instructions, but it’s up to you to do the daily work of wearing your trays. You are investing in this procedure, after all, so it’s in your best interest to stay committed and put in the effort to get the very best results.
- Follow the rules: Wear the trays 20 to 22 hours a day, remove them for meals, clean your teeth before putting the aligners back in.
- Keep things clean: Clean your trays at least four to five times a day – after every meal and before bed.
- Prioritize checkups: See your Chandler Invisalign provider regularly for progress check-ups and to collect new trays.
- Wear your retainer: The last thing most patients want after Invisalign is complete is to wear yet another tray, but a customized retainer keeps newly shifted teeth where they need to stay.
Say “Yes” to the Invisalign Process
Every type of cosmetic dentistry or orthodontic treatment is a commitment. It’s an investment in time, resources, and energy – but it’s all worth it for a stunning, healthy smile. Schedule a consultation with Dr. Brigham Baker and his dental team at Impressions Dental in Chandler, AZ, to find out if Invisalign can work for you. Contact us today and get your journey to a straight smile started.