Gum disease is a serious and painful oral infection that will never heal on its own, but it can be reversed with treatment from an experienced dentist. Through deep teeth cleaning and other methods, Dr. Brigham Baker and his team at Impressions Dental in Chandler, AZ, treat periodontal disease in all its stages to give you a healthy mouth and strong teeth.
Two Ways of Deep Teeth Cleaning
Deep teeth cleaning is a powerful method for stopping the early stage of gum disease known as gingivitis. If you are suffering from symptoms like swollen or inflamed gums, there is a good chance that gingivitis has already set in – only your dentist can make it go away and prevent it from developing into advanced periodontal disease.
Unlike the typical teeth cleaning performed at regular dental visits, deep teeth cleanings go below the gumline. This process is more involved than a traditional cleaning and is often called teeth scaling and root planing.
There are two ways of deep cleaning teeth to eliminate early gum disease:
- Teeth scaling and root planing: The gums are pulled back from the tooth and dental tools are used to scrape away the bacteria, plaque, and tartar that has formed under the gums. Local anesthesia minimizes discomfort.
- Laser therapy: Plaque and tartar are broken up and the irritants that cause gingivitis are removed. Laser therapy encourages the rejuvenation of good gum health and, because the procedure is non-invasive, healing is easier and patients begin to feel better quickly. Impressions Dental is one of the few Chandler area dental offices that provides this advanced treatment.
Gum Disease Prevention
Gum disease is preventable, though some people are predisposed to the condition because of heredity or certain medications or health conditions. Overall, if you simply take care of your teeth and make your oral health a priority, you can avoid gum disease. Make sure you do the following:
- Brush teeth at least twice a day
- Floss at least once a day
- See your dentist twice a year for cleanings and checkups
- Do not use tobacco products
- Contact your dentist immediately with pain or problems
When you see your dentist regularly – every six months – they look for signs of gingivitis. Keeping up with regular appointments ensures that you will have an expert’s eyes on your teeth and gums and any infections or problems will be obvious and get early treatment. Gum disease left untended can lead to loose teeth and, eventually, tooth loss.
Looks for Signs of Gum Disease
No one wants to have gum disease so it’s easy to overlook symptoms or try to ignore them because you don’t want to deal with the problem. The reality is, if you have gingivitis, it’s only going to get worse without treatment. And then you could experienced advanced gum disease symptoms like:
- Red gums
- Tender gums
- Bleeding gums
- Swollen gums
- Bad taste in the mouth
- Bad breath
- Gums pulled away from the teeth
- Loose teeth
If you have any of these symptoms, especially multiple symptoms, it is very likely that a gum disease diagnosis is in your future as well as deep teeth cleaning and other measures to restore your gum health.
Schedule a Deep Teeth Cleaning in Chandler, AZ
Gum disease is a common condition that affects over half of all American adults. If you find yourself with painful, red, or swollen gums, don’t wait until your next dental visit. Contact Impressions Dental in Chandler, AZ right away to get help for your discomfort. And if you haven’t been to the dentist in a while, don’t wait either – it is our job to help you have healthy teeth and gums and we will use all the methods at our disposal to transform your oral health.