Do you have an oral hygiene checklist? Or are you someone who flosses and brushes your teeth at least twice a day to be sure your teeth and gums are as clean as they can be? While flossing and brushing your teeth are indeed necessary for good oral health, there are a few other things you could be doing. Making an oral hygiene checklist will help you stay on track. Besides maintaining oral health, according to the American Dental Association, your mouth is a window into the health of your whole body and can indicate signs of nutritional deficiencies or general infection.
Teeth are designed to last a lifetime. With proper oral care, it is easy for someone to have healthy teeth and healthy gums, which equals a healthy mouth. While taking good care of one’s teeth and gums assures that they will be in good oral health, it is also supportive of their general health.
Daily oral hygiene checklist
The following is a checklist everyone should follow to fully support a healthy mouth.
- Brushing teeth at least twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste is recommended, using a soft-bristled toothbrush that will need to be replaced about three or four times a year
- Flossing teeth at least twice a day is recommended but can be done more often if food is stuck in between the teeth
- Avoid consuming too much sugar, as bacteria in the mouth thrives on sugar; after sugary foods are eaten, it is important to thoroughly rinse the mouth to remove any lingering sugars
- Avoid smoking, as it is one of the worst things someone can do when it comes to good oral health; not only does the smoke stain teeth, it also places the smoker at a higher risk for developing oral cancer
- Making regular dental appointments ensures that one’s oral health is as good as it absolutely can be; while twice a year is a general guideline for visiting a dentist, some patients have to only go once a year because their oral health is in such good shape
Is your oral health as good as it can be?
If you think your oral hygiene can be improved, then we invite you to contact us to make an appointment. When you take good care of your oral health, you are simply going to feel well. Our professional dental team is full of beneficial information, and we welcome any questions you may have that pertain to your good oral health. If you have certain dental needs, let us know what they are so we can do our best to provide you with any specialty treatments.
Request an appointment in our Chandler dentist office here: .